SEIP » Success Stories » Resource for Success Stories » Training system for Wastewater Treatment Plant Technicians and Helpers  · 

Training system for Wastewater Treatment Plant Technicians and Helpers

Lecture session

Currently, the estimated number of staff employed in these ETPs and CETPs in India is about 2,00,000. By 2025 and 2050, the projected number of these staff is at about 3,65,000 and 4,40,000 respectively. Of these, the operators/technicians constitute nearly 35% of the total staff, while helpers constitute about 30% of the total staff. The operators/technicians and helpers together constitute nearly 65% of the total staff, which is a very significant figure.

The Gujarat state has a large number of polluting industries situated all along the golden corridor and at other places. These units have established Effluent Treatment Plants (ETP) to treat their effluent. Many industrial estates have Common Effluent Treatment Plants (CETP) to treat the partially treated wastewater from the member units. Unfortunately, the majority of the operators of these ETPs/CETPs do not have essential qualifications and experience, are semiskilled/ unskilled and do not have adequate knowledge regarding operation and maintenance of ETPs/CETPs. This, together with the very complex nature of the effluent from member units has resulted in deviation of the norms in respect of quality of treated effluent at the outlet from the prescribed standards by Gujarat Pollution Control Board(GPCB).

Unfortunately, the majority of the operators of these ETPs/CETPs do not have essential qualification and experience, are semi-skilled/unskilled and do not have adequate knowledge regarding operation and maintenance of ETPs/CETPs. This has resulted in inefficient operation of such facilities and violation of the norms and spoiling natural resources like rivers/seas/streams/ponds etc. Hence, there is a need for standardized skills development programmes or courses to cater to the job requirements of ETPs/CETPs. The staff employed in CETPs and ETPs play a very important role in effectively operating and managing these treatment plants so as to contain the pollution levels and ensure the protection of the receiving water bodies, including rivers and lakes.

Despite the market potential of offering training to the wastewater treatment plant staff being huge and the expected growth in this field is considerable, there is currently no market for such training yet. Hence, SEIP Project collaborated with Centre for Environment Education (CEE) Gujarat to stimulate this market potential using the outputs developed by SEIP Project and partners in order to improve workers’ safety, professional careers, and environmental protection, as well as to make the operation of high-quality environmental technologies more available. CEE was engaged to introduce capacity building measures and skill development of the operators/helpers of ETP/CETP and a total of 170 workers were trained in the three trainings that were conducted between June and December 2018 in various industrial estates in Gujarat.

Objective

The aim of this training is to raise awareness and develop the skills of helpers and operators of ETPs/CETPs using the knowledge and experience of the resource persons who are experts in this field. It is expected that this would improve their skill and performance leading to enhanced compliance and improved environmental pollution control. It would further help them to understand the aspects of health and safety in a better way.

Schedule of trainings:

  • First training program was conducted at Vatva, Ahmedabad from 19 to 21 June 2018.
  • Second training program was conducted at Nandesari, Vadodara from 26 to 28 September 2018.
  • The last training program was conducted at Pandesara, Surat from 11 to 13 December 2018. 
Icon Final report (2.6 MB)
Final Report

Field visit

Field visit

Training in process

Training in process

 

 

 
SEIP