SEIP » Home Page Article » October 2018 » Training of Trainers Programme: Skills development for technicians and helpers (CETPs/ETPs)  · 

Training of Trainers Programme: Skills development for technicians and helpers (CETPs/ETPs)

6 – 10 October 2018, Ahmedabad, Gujarat

India has over 170 combined wastewater treatment plants (CETPs) and several thousands of effluents treatment plants (ETPs) in individual industries to treat wastewater generated from industries. The staff employed in CETPs and ETPs play a very important role in effectively operating and managing these treatment plants so as to contain the pollution levels and ensure the protection of the receiving water bodies, including rivers and lakes. Very sophisticated technologies deployed in treating wastewater could become futile without qualified and skilled staff to operate such facilities. Currently, the estimated number of staff, including include helpers, operators/technicians, senior technicians, lab chemists, supervisors and managers, employed in these ETPs and CETPs is about 2,00,000. By 2025, the projected number of staff is set to increase to 3,65,000 approx. Of these, the operators/technicians constitute nearly 35% of the total staff, while helpers constitute about 30% of the total staff. The strength of operators/technicians and helpers together constitute nearly 65% of the total staff, which is a very significant figure.

Considering the immediate needs of the skills development in the area of industrial wastewater treatment, under the German Development Cooperation project on “Sustainable and Environment-friendly Industrial Production” (SEIP), GIZ organised the second Training of Trainers (ToT) programme from 6 – 10 October, 2018 in Ahmedabad. The ToT focussed on providing essential understanding of the process of training, training methods/tools, didactics, soft skills, examination system etc. and orientation to the training curricula.  The 5-day ToT was conducted by Ms. Olwen Herbison, an international trainer from Ireland associated with ICON Institut from Germany, along with 2-day facilitation from Skill Council for Green Jobs (SCGJ) through Mr. Abhishek Dalal and Mr. Anand Mohan Mishra. 

The training was attended by 19 participants, professionals from various environment-related organisation, CETP Society, environmental activists, and academicians from various parts of India. The 5-day training was conducted within Naroda Industrial Estate in Gujarat where participants demonstrated on the job training for the operators and helpers of the NEPL CETP in the estate during the training session. In the end, on the 5th day of the ToT, the participants appeared for an assessment by SCGJ which would certify them as Trainers to conduct further training of CETP/ETP technicians across India.

Documents available for download

file in pdf
file in pdf
file in pdf
file in pdf
file in pdf
file in pdf